Owned by the City of New York, the High Line works with its communities, neighborhoods, and city to reimagine public space. We raise nearly 100% of our own annual budget for programming, maintenance, and operations, in partnership with NYC Parks.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
Operations at the High Line is composed of several departments and teams: Facilities & Engineering, Horticulture, Production, Custodial, Visitor Services, and Operations Administration. The operations manager reports to the vice president of park operations and senior operations support staff.
The operations manager is a full-time, exempt, year-round employee of the High Line. They play a key role in managing the physical and logistical administration necessary for the daily operations of the High Line. They are responsible for supporting the daily coordination of park operations and will work directly with the the vice president of park operations to manage special projects, provide administrative and management support, and plan and implement department-wide goals and objectives.
- Work closely with the vice president of park operations and senior operations support staff to develop key performance indicators (KPIs) to maintain or improve overall operational efficiency, demonstrating a continuous effort to improve operations, making sure that the High Line’s standards, policies, and procedures are implemented, met, and maintained consistently
- Oversee operational administrative services, including uniform distribution, driver certification, locker assignments, and building orientations, ensuring timely resolution and project status updates to relevant staff
- Oversee access control and security systems for park and headquarters
- Identify, plan, and coordinate the execution of special projects from inception to completion, assist in needs assessment, budget preparation, project scoping, scheduling, tracking and management of costs, and documentation in Cartegraph
- Communicate milestones and updates to the appropriate parties
- Handling vendor relationships and contract negotiation, make purchases, control expenditures, maintain all inventories of operation supplies, including off-site storage of additional stock
- Work with the vice president of park operations to organize and maintain administrative files and records for High Line operations division, including signed agreements, training records, tool and equipment sign-offs, and safety program documentation
- Oversee the maintenance of operational databases, geographic information systems (GIS), and special data-driven projects
- Oversee implementation of onboarding for new operations staff.
- As a key member of the storage and space planning committee, ensure office and operation requirements are met.
- Prepare written reports as required and ensure agendas and minutes are documented
- Provide direct administrative support to the vice president of park operations and senior operations support staff, as needed
- Serve as a member of the safety committee
- Other duties as assigned to support the operations department
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of demonstrated successful experience in an administrative capacity
- Oral and written communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- High level of internal accountability, self-organization, attention to detail, and discipline
- Excellent computer skills, including, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Understand structure of complex databases
- Work with people at all levels with an openly engaging, energetic, and diplomatic personality; aptitude for positively encouraging a team environment
- Maintain composure, be flexible, demonstrate discretion, and make sound and safe professional judgments
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- Experience in park administration or a public space management field
- Experience working with geographic information systems (GIS), enterprise software, and databases
- Adobe Creative Cloud experience
- An understanding of public-private partnerships
- A safety-first mindset
- Proven management ability
- Capacity to think strategically
- Ability to perform limited physical labor (lifting, bending, squatting, etc.)
- Ability to work on selected early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends, as needed
- 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, and 9 paid holidays
- Paid primary and secondary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability insurance and paid life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program