Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by the Friends of the High Line, in partnership with NYC Parks. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The advancement assistant will assist the chief advancement officer and support the High Line’s efforts to secure critical resources, broaden our community support, and strengthen our outreach to all constituencies. The advancement department is composed of the development and communications department, that are responsible for framing and delivering the High Line story and for soliciting and securing all contributed income for the organization.
The advancement assistant will provide support to the chief advancement officer and senior leaders on the advancement team in development and communications. The candidate will demonstrate experience in handling a wide range of administrative projects, while performing with high levels of efficiency when executing long- and short-term projects.
The advancement assistant is a full-time, year-round non-exempt employee.
- Manage the highly demanding schedule of the chief advancement officer on a daily basis, ensure their calendar is scheduled with internal and external constituents in a timely manner with all preparatory documents ready and reviewed in advance
- Assist with internal and external correspondence, draft communications and develop sophisticated presentations for multiple audiences including board of trustees, staff, funders, prospects, and stakeholders
- Download meeting reports and ensure they are recorded in our fundraising database, Raiser’s Edge, for use by the entire development department
- Manage timelines and deliverables for project collaboration between development, communications, and program teams for fundraising proposals, campaigns and print projects
- Assist with event logistics including: setting locations, catering, advance materials and presentations as needed (tours, off-site meetings, staff meetings, board committee meetings)
- Liaise with finance to maintain and organize up-to-date expense management and filing systems including monitoring departmental administrative expenses and credit card reconciliation
- Prioritize, research, respond and/or delegate requests, as needed, to ensure seamless communication
- On behalf of the chief advancement officer, act as a liaison with other departments/staff within the organization, as well as external parties and employ diplomacy in all interactions
- Organize, manage, and provide support for special projects, thinking logically through each step and finding thoughtful solutions to challenges
- Maintain the master advancement calendar of communications, solicitation, stewardship, and reporting requirements to ensure an integrated approach to all advancement activities
- Oversee and track new and existing donor recognition credits
- Represent the High Line at a variety of community events and functions, as required
- Perform other duties to support the advancement team, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of three years of development work experience
- Prior administrative experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office including fluency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge
- Able to work in a dynamic and fast-changing work environment
- Able to work select evenings and weekends as needed
- Attention to detail and ability to think critically about the task at hand
- High degree of integrity handling sensitive and confidential material
- Strong project management with the ability to juggle various projects and deadlines
- 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, and 9 paid holidays
- Paid primary and secondary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability insurance and paid life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program