Director of Digital Strategy
Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The director of digital strategy will serve as a strategic leader, building digital strategies that drive innovative, integrated, multi-platform, marketing communications; connect with internal and external audiences; and support fundraising goals. Working as a key member of the advancement team, this role will lead the development of the High Line’s current and future digital initiatives and channels, including but not limited to, website, eblasts, mobile app, social media platforms, and video. This position works closely with other departments to coordinate and synchronize timing, content and messaging of off/on-line marketing, and communication efforts.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the vice president of communications and has two direct reports.
- Lead the development and implementation of an overarching digital content strategy for the High Line that supports all external communications channels, fundraising goals, and future growth.
- Work with advancement team to create ongoing digital fundraising plans that are tied to key events and milestones, and test new initiatives.
- Evaluate relevant industry trends, innovations, and tools and translate them into new and improved digital platforms and opportunities for the High Line.
- Develop multi-year plan to expand the High Line’s digital activities and tools, finding new ways to build connections with the organization’s wide range of audiences.
- Interpret the brand voice across all digital touch points and communicate it through content, in collaboration with project stakeholders.
- Direct all aspects of development, design and content of the High Line’s web and digital communications platforms ensuring that they are unified, structured, designed, updated, search engine optimized, compliant with marketing, business, and technology best practices, and serve the needs of the High Line community and all its communications efforts.
- Supervise the upkeep and technological development of the High Line’s digital platforms, including the website content management system and third-party servers; articulate technical specifications for project deliverables; manage the verification and delivery of all technical specifications; and vet technical aspects of all digital media project deliverables.
- Working with the communications manager, set an email strategy for the organization and lead the content, tracking, and optimization of email campaigns.
- Develop organization-wide social media management standards, policies and rules of engagement with social media coordinator.
- Strategize and manage the use of mobile technology and apps to access information about the High Line and/or enhance the visitor experience.
- Define key digital performance indicators and implement enterprise level measurement, analytics, and reporting methods to evaluate if digital strategy is advancing organizational goals.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and knowledgeable about the best mobile giving tools.
- 7-10+ years of digital marketing and social media work in a collaborative environment, experience as a Digital Marketing Director or senior level Digital Content Strategist preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing successful and integrated digital marketing campaigns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, SWF, GIF, FBML, e-mail design, and familiarity with web design and analytic suites of various major social media and video platforms (Facebook, YouTube, etc.) as well as third party providers (e.g. Radian6, Museum Analytics).
- Proven analytical ability to track multiple marketing initiatives, analyze results, and adjust initiatives accordingly.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task and work under deadline while maintaining a great attention to detail.
- Experience producing multimedia content for digital platforms (intranets, blogs, e-newsletters, social platforms) on deadline.
- Hands on experience with various Content Management Systems and analytics tools.
- Experience with multimedia digital design, on-line media, Print Design, Adobe Creative Suite, Acrobat, display media trafficking and working with 3rd Party Ad-Serving (e.g., DART for Advertisers (DFA), Atlas, etc.).
- Demonstrated creative thinker; ability to see the “big picture.”
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, the ability to interact well with others and think strategically, the ability to shift as priorities change, and have a proven record of strong team leadership.
- High level of energy, confidence, and a sense of humor, and desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed
- Occasionally move about inside the office, as well as on the park (three miles round trip), and work in outdoor weather conditions
- 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, and 9 paid holidays
- Paid primary and secondary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability insurance and paid life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program