Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with NYC Parks. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The custodial manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of the High Line’s Custodial team and custodial supervisor. In addition to maintaining the general hardscape of the High Line, the custodial manager is an ambassador to the public, contributing to our “all are welcome” spirit.
The successful candidate is an energetic and approachable colleague, a tireless advocate of the Custodial team, adept at assessing and promoting needs of the team while being hands on supporting their work.
This is a hands-on role, requiring daily work outdoors in all weather conditions. Responsibilities include all aspects of monitoring, caring for, and reporting on designated park zones, offices, hardscape elements, restrooms, cleanliness, and public use of the park.
The custodial manager is a full-time, year-round exempt employee.
- Ensure regular maintenance tasks are being completed including sweeping, scrubbing, power washing, furniture inventory, snow removal, overall cleanliness of public restrooms, ordering of supplies,sanitation, minor repairs of infrastructure, graffiti and gum removal, and safety inspections
- Develop policies and procedures for hardscape and restroom cleanliness, custodial safety,and long-term maintenance
- Inspect all park facilities and property areas daily, identify and troubleshoot problems, liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve resolution
- Manage a staff of full-time and seasonal custodians and office custodial porter, ensuring the proper execution of daily tasks and project-based work, schedule work on a daily, monthly, and annual basis
- Develop and maintain a climate of achievement, fostering staff morale and building team spirit
- Work alongside field personnel, orchestrating daily work flows ensuring proper and timely execution of tasks
- Maintain high standard of cleanliness throughout the park and office spaces
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- Provide consistent positive and constructive feedback to staff
- Communicate consistently, liaising between all High Line departments
- Train staff in proper equipment operation and safety procedures
- Ensure proper removal of garbage and recycling
- Ensure food commissary areas are clean
- Coordinate with third party vendors as needed
- Administrative duties include but are not limited to:
- Participation in meetings, communicating daily with Operations and Administrative departments
- Scheduling of assigned teams
- Staff evaluation and review
- Payroll and time off approval
- Inventory of supplies and tools and purchasing of equipment
- Coordinate and manage completion of special projects
- Assist with special events, as needed
- Develop assessment tools to determine whether park is meeting its cleanliness goals
- Interact with park visitors in a professional manner
- Work a schedule that varies to meet park needs, including weekends, nights, and holidays
- Actively promote and contribute to the High Line’s sustainability initiatives in park management
- 5-7 years supervisory experience and proven leadership in a similar field
- Sound organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience with maintenance and operation of landscape and horticulture equipment
- Flexibility to work long hours, holidays, and weekends as necessary
- Computer-literate; able to use email and, Google and Microsoft suites
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standard of park operations.
- Associates degree or higher preferred
- City Parks experience
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- OSHA-certified or the ability to be certified
- Ability to ride a tricycle/motrec
- Training in removing blood borne pathogens and other hazards
- Ability to perform physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions (year-round), walking 1.4 miles of the High Line
- Ability to lift, push and pull 50 lbs
- 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, and 9 paid holidays
- Paid primary and secondary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability insurance and paid life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program