Planning & Design Project Manager
Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with NYC Parks. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The planning and design project manager is responsible for supporting and overseeing capital repair and retrofit projects at the High Line park and headquarters. Projects require short- and long-term planning, and coordination with internal High Line departments to ensure minimal impact to operations, programming, and public access to the High Line. In addition to internal coordination, the project manager works with external contractors and NYC Parks and other city agencies, as needed. This position also acts as a liaison with adjacent construction projects as they impact the park.
This is an full-time, year-round, exempt position that reports to the senior project manager and who works collaboratively with the Operations department in fulfillment of projects.
- Manage repair/improvement projects on the High Line including developing scopes of work, soliciting and reviewing bids from contractors, and managing the execution of the work. Examples of previous projects include stair repair and repainting, utility upgrades to support concessions and public programming, oversight of design and installation of plant bed protection, reconfiguration of park seating, restoration of park pathways, and office and storage space fit outs, etc.
- Coordinate between Planning & Design and Park Operations departments to ensure successful execution and oversight of projects, and confirm that all projects are on the institutional master calendar and internal resources are allocated and scheduled
- Work closely with departmental managers to establish scopes of capital repair work, schedules, and budgets
- Create communication processes and documents to ensure that all affected stakeholders are aware of impact of projects on park
- Support NYC Parks and the property owners in the review, approval, and installation of overhead protection on the High Line for adjacent construction projects; track and bill all associated reimbursement costs
- Maintain master list of High Line capital repairs and calendar for implementation
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years of project management experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, solve problems, and collaborate with a variety of colleagues, as well as external vendors, contractors, designers, and partners at all levels
- Ability to read architectural/construction drawings
- Ability to manage budgets and schedules
- Detail oriented
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and flexible office environment
- Demonstrated skills in verbal, written, and graphic communication
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience or interest in the fields of planning, landscape architecture, architecture, design, and the operations/programming of public spaces
- Understanding of contracts and insurance
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite
- Completion of OSHA 30, LEED Green Associate, Project Management, or Construction Management Certificate
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions as needed
- Some evening and weekend work required based on project needs
- 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, and 9 paid holidays
- Paid primary and secondary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability insurance and paid life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program