Weekend Seasonal Sales Associate
Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
Seasonal retail associates staffs FHL’s shops on the High Line. Associates will serve as the primary fundraising and sales team on the High Line. Responsibilities will include selling High Line merchandise, signing up new members, and serving as ambassadors to park visitors.
This position nonexempt, temporary and requires working outdoors in the park from April-November; work schedules include weekends and holidays, with the option to work an additional weekday. The weekend seasonal sales associates is a non-exempt, part time temporary role.
● Greet customers in friendly, welcoming manner
● Encourage park visitors to consider membership as a way of supporting the High Line
● Meets and exceeds individual membership and individual sales goals
● Identify customer needs and offer appropriate recommendations
● Prioritize customer satisfaction and overall positive experience on the High Line
● Open and close shops in accordance to Retail procedures
● Accurately reconcile cash registers
● Safeguard the shop’s inventory in accordance to FHL’s loss prevention policies
● Assist with the opening and closing of the shops
● Maintain the shops’ housekeeping and visual merchandising standards
● Communicate with the assistant store manager and key holders to resolve any issues or problems that may arise
● Must have a positive, high-energy, friendly, outgoing and engaging personality
● Enjoys interacting with the public; excellent interpersonal/communications skills
● Consistent weekend availability from April-November
● Previous sales experience with cash handling
● Passion for sustainability, local history, public art, architecture, and/or horticulture
Candidates must be able to
● Work outdoors in both warm and cool temperatures
● Lift up to 35 pounds
● Move about the store, talk with customers, reach, stoop, crouch and climb ladders and be present at the counter for the majority of the shift
- Medical benefits (for full time)
- Paid sick time
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program
- Individuals can contribute into a 403(b) retirement plan (no organizational contribution or matching)