Communications Intern, PR & Digital Communications
Interning at the Park in the Sky!
Friends of the High Line’s internship program is committed to finding New Yorkers with big dreams and cultivating them into future industry leaders. Through our immersive, intensive, and inclusive 13-week program, we offer interns the opportunity to apply their current industry skill-set in a real-world setting while mapping out their future through comprehensive workforce development services including: professional development, work readiness, network building, and career planning. But, wait! It doesn’t stop there. We continue to offer career support for 12 months following the program based around educational advancement, job search, and job placement within your respective industry. It is our goal to serve as an incubator for our next generation of leaders by leveraging our resources and influence as one of the top cultural destinations in the country.
What will you be doing?
Our Communications team has the essential task of managing the public image and brand of FHL, as well as communicating programming and relevant organizational information to the High Line stakeholders. As the Communications Intern, you will be responsible for assisting in the development of relevant content representative of the High Line’s mission and current projects, while helping coordinate methods of delivery. You may also have the opportunity to support the Graphic Designer in creating digital designs. You will provide administrative and special project support to multiple members of the team, gaining an understanding of how a Communications team works in a non-profit organization.
You will also be attending professional development workshops and networking events, have the opportunity to take paid certification courses, joining professional associations, creating your own long-term projects, and developing your employment portfolio. Special workforce development tasks and projects will arise as needed for your individual needs and growth.
You will report to the Internship Program Manager and Digital Communications & Marketing Manager and may assist all members of the Communications Department as needed.
- Draft and edit copy for High Line Blog, High Line E-News, and other print and web marketing materials
- Assist in creating and finding great content for FHL’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Assist in monitoring conversations on social media channels
- Support coordination of responses to public queries on social media channels and email
- Assist in creation of digital designs for use on FHL’s website, social media, print, and various other channels under direction of the Graphic Designer
- Assist with coverage at programming events, some that take place outside of office hours
- Provide miscellaneous administrative support to the Communications department, as needed
Who are you?
- An up-and-comer in the Public Relations and/or Digital Communications field, looking to get your first real-world experience
- A champion and advocate for FHL’s mission, as well as the people who visit the High Line
- Possess a growth mindset with an openness to coaching and critical feedback
- High school / HSE graduate
- Can work at least 20 hours a week (opportunity to work up to 37.5)
- Can commit for the entire 13 weeks: September 18th - December 15th
- Priority given to residents of the High Line neighborhood (Chelsea/Hell’s Kitchen) and FHL’s Green Council, TACC, Teen Event Staff, and Participatory Budgeting Council Alumni
What are you good at?
- Strong spoken communications and the ability to frame and draft clear emails
- Basic level of computer and Internet literacy, including basic HTML, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Suite as well as an aptitude for learning new computer applications
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- A team player that is flexible, resourceful, and detail-oriented
- Ability to write and craft messages consistent with FHL’s brand
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat in a personal or professional capacity
- A sense of humor is always nice!