Temporary Retail Key Holder
Friends of the High Line (FHL) raises 98% of the operating and programming budget for the High Line. Our retail shops on the park are an essential component of that effort.
Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is a public park maintained, operated, and programmed by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.
Key Holders will help ensure all High Line Shop policies, procedures, and controls are followed. On a daily basis, this role will aid in the planning, organizing, and delegating of tasks among staff and set the tone for a productive and collaborative work environment, as well as setting the example for membership and merchandise sales while serving as an ambassador to park visitors.
This is a full-time, temporary position that requires working outdoors on the High Line; work schedules include weekends and holidays.
- Greet customers in friendly, welcoming manner
- Motivate team and exceed monthly individual sales and membership goals
- Identify customer needs and offer appropriate recommendations
- Facilitate customer satisfaction and guide process through final sale
Shop, Cash, and Inventory Management
- Open and close shops by adhering to FHL procedure
- Reconcile cash registers accurately at the close of shop
- Perform necessary cash deposits in a safe, accountable, and responsible manner
- Ensure that all inventory is fully stocked; maintain housekeeping and visual merchandising standards
- Safeguard the shop’s inventory by adhering to the FHL’s loss prevention policies
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to associates, when appropriate
- Schedule and coordinate Temporary Sales Associates’ breaks
- Previous experience supervising others is required
- Ability to lead by example - must have a positive, high-energy, friendly, outgoing and engaging personality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; enjoys interacting with the public
- Extensive cash handling and customer service experience
- Strong background in sales, promotions, and/or marketing
- Consistent weekend availability throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds and comfort with standing for the majority of their shift
- Passion for sustainability, local history, public art, architecture, and/or horticulture, a plus
Please note that this is an outdoors sales job; in the event of inclement weather, shifts may be adjusted or cancelled.
- Paid sick time
- Medical insurance
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Individual can contribute into a 403(b) retirement plan (no organizational contribution or matching)