The High Line is at a pivotal moment in its already exciting history. Committed to being a public park for the residents of New York and local Chelsea neighbors, the opening of the Spur along with several upcoming major artist-led projects and performances, present new and exciting opportunities to engage both nearby neighbors and New Yorkers from across all five boroughs.
Friends of the High Line (FHL) is seeking an experienced project manager to organize and implement the execution of a diverse array of public facing events in the park.
As a key member of our Operations team, the Production Director will be responsible for the successful execution of all events and installations in the park, including but not limited to private and public-facing venue rentals, large-scale film & photo shoots, public programs, art installations, and fundraising events. In a busy season, this amounts to around 30-40 events.
Working in collaboration with numerous departments and teams (internal and external), the Director will develop and institutionalize best practices for managing events / installations on the High Line, including scheduling procedures, staffing requests, and guidelines for understanding the limitations and possibilities of the park’s unique venues.
Reporting to the Director of Production will be one production assistant and they will have the opportunity to build a small team of event production professionals to support a growing schedule of activities in the park in the coming years.
- Oversee all production and technical aspects of events / installations on the High Line
- Develop and control internal booking procedures for events / installations in the park; provide final approval before any event / installation is scheduled
- Act as a technical and creative partner for internal and external production teams; collaborate with these teams to generate event / installation concepts that are feasible in the park
- Ensure that internal departments adhere to the same requirements, including production guidelines, permitting procedures, and internal briefing materials
- Participate in the development of, and implement guidelines for, managing on-site crowd control and other safety precautions for events; work with external security partners to develop tailored event security plans
- Ensure that key staff is briefed on event / installation details; delegate responsibilities and ensure the timely completion of action items
- Serve as the primary on-call contact for large-scale load-ins and load-outs; troubleshoot problems with vendors and staff
- Review event / installation floor plans and production details, including sound permits, TPAs, and DOB temporary structure permits; ensure that on-site activities adhere to written specifications and the High Line’s guidelines & house rules
- Oversee the park’s preparedness for events / installations, including storage spaces, equipment, and supplies
- Assist with scheduling and training Program Event Staff and Rangers
- Minimum 5 years of technical event management experience at a high-capacity venue in a supervisory or leadership role; experience with outdoor venues is preferred
- Ability to remain respectful and calm when interfacing with staff, vendors, event guests, and the general public; experience collaborating with artists and having an understanding and respect for their work
- Ability to anticipate obstacles and maintain an optimistic and solutions-oriented perspective
- Keen knowledge of large-scale production requirements and demands, including City permitting requirements, vendor coordination, security, etc.
- Project management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize competing priorities in a fast-paced work environment are essential
- Proven track record of working to identify and improve systems and communication between departments
- Superior written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to lead, work with a team, and delegate
- Ability to work extended hours, overnight shifts, and weekends as necessary
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and walk long distances in all seasons and weather conditions
- Valid NY State Drivers license preferred
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise