Seasonal Visitor Services Associate
Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with NYC Parks. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The visitor services associate is responsible for serving as a primary and visible FHL ambassador and safety representative to the public by informing park visitors of amenities and programs, gauging the public’s opinions and interests, and serving as the eyes and ears for the park’s condition and environment. Visitor services associate are also responsible for supporting FHL programs and events that take place in the park and at High Line Headquarters.
This is a non-exempt, part-time, temporary position that requires working outdoors in all weather conditions on evenings and weekends, from the beginning of April through October.
- Ensure park visitors have a safe, enjoyable, and extraordinary experience on the High Line
- Understand and communicate basic knowledge about the High Line and Friends of the High Line, including background/historic information, park access, and park rules
- Patrol the park individually in defined zones assigned by the director of visitor services, visitor services supervisors, or other operations management, monitoring visitors as well as the park property
- Maintain a highly-visible presence via an ambulatory and mobile position
- Educate visitors about park rules and mitigating conflict when appropriate
- Record violations of park rules and incidents
- Alert a PEP officer when assistance is needed in the enforcement of park rules, or in case of emergency
- Record and submit visitorship data to the director of visitor services
- Communicate the closing of the park each night, directing visitors to exit the High Line
- Set up, breakdown, and staffing of park programs, events and other organizational initiatives
- Strong interpersonal skills and highly dependable, punctual, and possess a positive demeanor
- Must be able to work as a team member, and be able to interact with all levels of management, staff, and the public
- Experience working in customer service
Candidates must be able to:
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Repeatedly travel along the High Line
- Paid sick time
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program
- Individuals can contribute into a 403(b) retirement plan (no organizational contribution or matching)