High Line Ranger
The Ranger is responsible in serving a role as a primary and visible FHL ambassador and safety representative to the public by informing park visitors of amenities and programs, gauging the public’s opinions and interests, and serving as the eyes and ears for the park’s condition and environment. Rangers are also responsible for supporting FHL programs and events that take place in the park and at HLHQ.
This is a non-exempt, part-time, temporary position that requires working outdoors in all weather conditions on evenings and weekends, through the fall.
- Ensuring park visitors have a safe, enjoyable, and extraordinary experience on the High Line
- Knowing and communicating basic knowledge about the High Line and Friends of the High Line, including background/historic information, park access, and park rules
- Patrolling the park individually, on foot, in defined zones assigned by the Director of Park Services, Park Services Manager, Park Foreperson or other Operations management, and monitoring visitors as well as the park property
- Maintaining a highly-visible presence via an ambulatory and mobile position
- Educating visitors about park rules and mitigating conflict when appropriate
- Recording violations of park rules and notable incidents
- Contacting a PEP officer when assistance is needed in the enforcement of park rules, or in case of emergency
- Recording and submitting visitorship data to the Director of Park Services or Park Services Manager
- Communicating the closing of the park each night, directing visitors to exit the High Line
- Set up, breakdown and staffing of park programs, events and other organizational initiatives
- Participating in snow and ice removal
Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and be highly dependable, punctual, and possess a positive demeanor. Experience working in customer service or visitor services a plus. The candidate must be able to work as a team member, and be able to interact with all levels of management, staff, and the public. This position requires the ability to stand for long periods of time, and work outdoors in all weather conditions.