Human Resources Intern
INTERNING AT THE PARK IN THE SKY!
Friends of the High Line’s Internship Program is committed to finding New Yorkers with big dreams and cultivating them into future industry leaders. Through our immersive, intensive, and inclusive 14-week program, we offer interns the opportunity to apply their current industry skill-set in a real-world setting while mapping out their future through comprehensive workforce development services including: professional development, work readiness, network building, and career planning. But, wait! It doesn’t stop there. We continue to offer career support for 12 months following the program based around educational advancement, job search, and job placement within your respective industry. Interns will be a part of a robust community of emerging professionals who each contribute uniquely to Friends of the High Line. It is our goal to serve as an incubator for our next generation of leaders by leveraging our resources and influence as one of the top cultural destinations in the country.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
Working alongside our 5-person HR team, you will be gaining hands-on experience in the way organizations manage their staff, build their teams, administer benefits, and develop their staff’s skills. You will have an opportunity to take on responsibilities in Human Resources administration by providing administrative and special project support to multiple members of the team, gaining an understanding of how a nonprofit is ran internally.
You will also be attending professional development workshops and networking events, have the opportunity to take paid certification courses, joining professional associations, creating your own long-term projects, and developing your employment portfolio. Special workforce development tasks and projects will arise as needed for your individual needs and growth.
You will recieve day-to-day support from the Learning and Development Manager and the Human Resources team.
- Assist with proofreading and posting open positions
- Assist with initial screenings of resumes and cover letters
- Participate in first-round in-person and telephone interviews
- Perform reference checks for potential hires using FHL reference check form
- Maintain and update applicant tracking system and related HR spreadsheets and databases
- Assist with onboarding and offboarding employees
- Assist with special projects within the HR department
WHO ARE YOU?
- An up-and-comer interested in Human Resources, Nonprofit Management, or Public Administration looking to get your first real-world experience
- A champion and advocate for FHL’s mission, as well as the people who visit the High Line
- Possess a growth mindset with an openness to coaching and critical feedback
- High school / HSE graduate
- Can work part-time (22.5 hours/week)
- Can commit for the entire 14 weeks: January 28th - May 3rd
Residents of the High Line neighborhood (West Village/Chelsea/Hell’s Kitchen) and FHL’s Green Council, TACC, Teen Event Staff, and Participatory Budgeting Council Alumni are strongly encouraged to apply
WHAT ARE YOU GOOD AT?
- Strong spoken communications and the ability to frame and draft clear emails
- Basic level of computer and Internet literacy, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Suite as well as an aptitude for learning new computer applications
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- A team player that is flexible, resourceful, and detail-oriented
- A sense of humor is always nice!
All interns at the High Line are paid $15/hr and receive a $300 professional development stipend.